Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Art of Being Rejected

No one likes to be rejected and I think it is just as difficult to deliver the rejection or declination as it is to receive the message. I think every recruiter dreads telling candidates that they didn’t get the job or are not moving forward but we all have to do it. Granted some of us do it better than others. I’m in the category, “Can Do Better”. Don’t misinterpret that as I don’t give my candidates a status update because anyone can fire off an email. You know the one “Thank you for applying for the position please continue to search other opportunities.” I would like to have those candid conversations with the candidate so that they understand why they weren’t a fit for the position and/or what they can do better in their next interview.

Here are a few things to help make the rejection useful:
  • Don’t be afraid to ask for additional feedback. You may not get additional information but it doesn’t hurt to ask.
  • Don’t burn any bridges. Being rejected can be painful and can sting but don’t let the emotions surface via email or in conversation with the employer.
  • Look for something positive about the experience. You have a new contact at the company or learned a little more about a future career opportunity.
  • Don’t give up. Let the rejection help propel you to keep searching and to interview better.

So we all have to realize that we are going to be rejected and it is going to bruise our ego. But the job search process involves putting yourself out there. Likewise, delivering candidate feedback is not very dangerous but it does involve getting out of my comfort zone. So I’ll commit to the uncomfortable task of delivering the rejection but don’t take it personally if I tell you take a hike.

2 comments:

  1. Great advice Michael. I will certainly share with my students. ~Cindy Billington

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great points to remember, Michael! Thanks for sharing. It's nice to hear this from a recruiter. Most job seekers wouldn't even think of asking for feedback after getting the big “no”. You're off to a great start with your blog!

    ReplyDelete