Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pick up the phone

So in one day I had two candidates back out of their final interview. They made the decision at the last minute to back out, leaving me feeling like a cheap date that got stood up. Candidate A and B could have picked up the phone and offered an explanation or the courtesy of a timely decision. If you are in the job search process, remember the following when working with a recruiter:

Effective Communication is Key
Communication is an important skill set in business, even with technology the spoken word is still king. Don’t be afraid to pick up the phone and ask your questions, gain clarification, or discuss next steps.

Mind Your Manners
Remember that everyone likes to be acknowledged and thanked. Take a moment to say thank you for their time and consideration for the position. A follow up note is another way to make a connection with the recruiter and hiring manager. Common courtesy can go a long way in helping you be considered for future positions.

Be Honest with Yourself
My job as a recruiter is to find the right person for a specific job. I’m going to sell the job and the company to you because I think your experience and qualifications are what I’m looking for. As a candidate you have to be honest with yourself. Is this a position that you are interested in and does it fit with your career plan? If not then politely decline to be considered any further, you will save my time and yourself a headache later.

By the way, I’m over feeling like a cheap date. It doesn’t last very long because I know there are some great people looking for a great opportunity. Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment